A good mix should take you on a journey, ideally not down familiar roads. This is that kind of mix, whether good or not.
There are a handful of tracks from the last few years, and roughly the same from the previous century. The Love section is the oldest, and the musical origins include Jamaica, Brazil, Japan as well as the US and UK. In terms of styles of music, I’m not even sure I know what half of it could be described as, but there’s certainly nu jazz, post-rock, afrobeat, L.A. and trad rock, experimental, freak folk, world fusion, avant jazz, Brazilian instrumental… pop(?), trip hop and whatever C.J. Boyd calls the thing he does with his bass and friends!
The samples come from A Ghost Story, Fight Club, a self help tape and Nomadland. Graphics by Butcher Billy.
- Black Mountain – Mothers Of The Sun (2016) // Bob Dylan – All The Tired Horses (1970)
- Damon Locks Black Monument Ensemble – Statement Of Intent/Black Monument Theme (2019)
- Ikebe Shakedown – Adonai (2020)
- Damien Jurado – Qachina (2016)
- Love – The Red Telephone (1967)
- The Revolutionaries – Kunta Kinte Dub (1976)
- Doug Hream Blunt – Gentle Persuasion (2015)
- Nightmares On Wax – You Wish (feat Mozez) (2006)
- Lo Borges – Calibre (1972)
- KOKOROKO – Ti-de (2019)
- C.J. Boyd – Boulevards (2019)
- Caroline – Dark Blue (2020)
- Alabaster DePlume – Whisky Story Time (2020)
- Ted Lucas – It Is So Nice To Get Stoned
- Takuya Kuroda – Rising Son (2014)
- Pharoah Sanders – Love Is Everywhere (1973)
- Makaya McCraven – Butterscotch (2015)
- Timber Timbre – Grifting (2017)