This is a mix slightly in response to the excellent film Don’t Look Up, but more than anything an opportunity to flex some beats and throw out some divine voices. Ultimately, this should shift your mindset, one way or another.
That looks like everything from nu jazz to indie, to instrumental hip hop breaks to Hindustani classical. The first half is a ride, the second half is a trip. There’s a ton of new releases from 2021 on here…
Some of my favourite tracks here include the killer Arooj Aftab (Hindustani classical influenced) track that closes this beautifully. Her voice is incredible.
The Alice Coltrane track, a window back into her 70s devotional recordings, only released in 2021.
The new Makaya McCraven record from 2021 is brilliant, and this album closer Black Rhythm Happening just brings immediate joy to any space its played in.
Aussie post-rock / jazzers Tangents provide a brilliant track in the middle, and the new El Ten Eleven is foot stompingly genius!
What can you say about the indie genius of Low & The Kills in recent years. Never enough, but they really tie the room together.
And Angel Bat Dawid – long may she record incredible records, literally hanging out for the next one to drop. Same with Georgia Anne Muldrow and Oneohtrix Point Never – phasers set to stun.
This show was 2nd in the global vocal chart, 2nd in the global nu jazz chart, 14th in the global beats chart, 22nd in the global chillout chart and 32nd in the global jazz chart.
- Shout Out! (Intro) – Nightmares On Wax
- Transition East – Angel Bat Dawid
- Making Love On Your Side – Howie B
- Stretch (JG Thirlwell remix) – Excepter
- Meta Metta – El Ten Eleven
- Outmoder – Trans Am
- Impressions – Portico Quartet
- Fly – Low
- Ossicles – Tangents
- Signal From The Noise – BADBADNOTGOOD
- Doing It To Death – The Kills
- Black Rhythm Happening – Makaya McCraven
- Nothing Special – Oneohtrix Point Never
- Dirt – Death In Vegas
- Krishna Krishna – Alice Coltrane
- Unforgettable – Georgia Anne Muldrow
- Mohabbat – Arooj Aftab