The Surgeon Of Crowthorne

Lambeth belonged administratively, at least until 1888, to the county of Surrey ā€“ meaning that the relatively strict laws that applied to the capitalā€™s citizens did not apply to anyone who ventured, via one of the new bridges like Waterloo, Blackfriars, Westminster or Hungerford, into the wen of Lambeth. The village thus became fast known as a site of revelry and abandon, a place where public houses and brothels and lewd theatres abounded, and where a man could find entertainment of all kinds ā€“ and disease of all varieties ā€“ for no more than a handful of pennies.

Read More